Since Facebook I am guilty...

The Real Old School Hip Hop Forum....Share and spread knowledge. Keep the history alive...Please limit discussions in the forum to topics no later than 1986.

Since Facebook I am guilty...

Postby waxer » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:15 pm

...Of neglecting the forum that put me in contact with a lot of people...

I suppose we all gotta move with the times, damn FB runs the whole shebang... bigups to all crew still checking this OG board and peace to JohnG the originator
waxer
Old School Professor
Old School Professor

Re: Since Facebook I am guilty...

Postby dj d-lite » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:17 pm

Same here! Some of the people from this board are active on Facebook but this place has a special place in my heart so I still checking this board!
dj d-lite
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby troylsmith21 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:08 pm

I wish there was a like button so I could click on both you guys.
Obama's the President, PULL YOUR PANTS UP!

Troy from HARLEM, One
troylsmith21

Postby Deltacity » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:29 pm

I went 'anti' Facebook a few years back. I deactivated my account temporarily, in case it affected the amount of session work I was getting, ( I assumed it was the first point of contact for most people now),But, Not a day went by where I didn't hear of a problem that included the words...
' they posted it on Facebook'.
Along with the ex girlfriends,ex school friends,general weirdos, and photos of someone else's breakfast, (bender understood that one! Who cares??!!) enough was enough! I actually got more work without Facebook, so it stayed deactivated. Did you know you can't delete your account permanently? When you upload anything, it becomes the property of Facebook. My account isn't active, but if I signed in again, it's just as I left it. You have to go thru a legal process to remove it from their server!!
Forums such as this fine example are the perfect reason NOT to be involved in social media, so please don't stop visiting and posting!!!
Kneill.
( oh yeah, the final straw for me was when a current girlfriend called me at work to tell me that my ex girlfriend was posting old photos of us again. They don't know each other, have no mutual friends, and were 100 miles apart. I asked why she had typed my ex's name into the search box, and she stuttered, panicked, hung up, and his from me for 3 days!).
BE CAREFUL DUDES! Facebook will make your women CRAZY!!!
Deltacity
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Postby romeorock » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:21 pm

yeah i agree with what was said here. i'm also on facebook and friends with troy. i also have a you tube channel , where i'm busting raps and commentary on old school hip hop. check me out , under my real name : kareem shareef.
romeorock
Old School Professor
Old School Professor

Postby geeiscool » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:30 pm

Guilty as Charged.....I started coming here 14 years ago and was a regular, The forum has had its ups and downs (mainly ups) and I shall always love it, I gotta shape up and start posting here again, This is a fantastic site and and forum, big Up to John G for keeping things going.
geeiscool
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby waxer » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:00 pm

Funny re-reading this... I recently had a bad experience on FaceBook and went through the whole process to delete everything I had uploaded permanently, closed groups & turned my back on it once & for all... so intrusive & such a waste of time... what annoys me is that some things now reside ONLY on FaceBook. It's kind of like a prison sentence being on there... I will never go back to it & hope that more people realise that not only it is a MASSIVE privacy concern, but that people on there are actually The Product... I detest it now & hope that it becomes a victim of it's own success & disappears soon!
waxer
Old School Professor
Old School Professor

Postby IRISH CRAIG » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:07 am

I feel the same way about FB, a great resource for specific interests, and obvs a great way to stay in touch with lost international pals, without much effort, yet it sucks afternoons and evenings out of nowhere and leaves you feelin unclean at times.

I dont even know what that drama was about Waxer but im SOOOOO so gutted ABU is gone. I wasnt even a regular regular, but I miss the fun/ familiarity/ insight and the casual approach to it all. How cool was it to be communicating with your peers AND your cultural idols at the same time? Too cool, thats how cool.

There's nothing stopping us revitalising OSHH im just not sure how.

I always felt that the snobbery and derision within our own community is what holds up back. For me, its about being purist and unapologetic with the cultural vultural bench-warmers yes, but its also about progressing with the times and technology.

EG. I always liked sharing MP3s which is a very NON-HIP HOP thing, and something that is looked down upon [sending AND recieving, giving AND taking], but surely we ALL use the damn things on the regular right? On phones/ tablets/ at home on PCs. We play our music MANY ways in 2014/ 2015, and somewhere like the 'New MP3 Request' thread alone is somewhere we can all benefit IMO ?

We are knowledgable people, we are genuinely passionate about our culture, and OSHH always struck me as an older brother of a forum, helping educate and pave the way for the younger and more curious audience, that DO CARE about what the origins are and who the pioneers and heros of the game. If we hadnt been educated on our travels through the years, who knows how things coulda worked out.

Lets keep it 'famma-lamma' - #eachoneteachone

Shouts to Waxer and John G.

And best wishes for 2015 !
http://randomrapradiodotcom.wordpress.com/
IRISH CRAIG
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby Ackniculous » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:56 pm

Same here man, since Facebook, no EE or this place, and OSHH especially put me on the map!
Ackniculous
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby 5 Grand » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:59 pm

I'm guilty as charged.

I'm on a few Hip Hop groups on Facebook. I think with a proper marketing strategy we could direct people to this site from Facebook and try to build the numbers up again. But this site needs to be upgraded. I go to Allhiphop.com's message board now and they have a lot of features this site doesn't have. For example if somebody says something you like you can "cosign" them, or if they say something you don't like you can "nosign" them. If somebody disses another member there's a "Ether" button. There's also a "wack" button.

Truthfully I don't really belong on the allhiphop.com message board. They talk about modern rappers like Drake and Lil Wayne. But its something to do to pass time. Every once in a while somebody makes a thread about something from the 90s that I can relate to. Very rarely does somebody mention anything from the 80s.

I don't know how this message board works and how John G makes any revenue from it, but if you guys want to collaborate and try to get this board up and running again, I'm with it.
5 Grand
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby ~J~C~O))) » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:59 am

Got rid of mine - tis a weird place I found. A lotta forums died or are mere ghosts of their former selves, personally I preferred them.
~J~C~O)))
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby Zeleke28 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:21 am

Facebook is a huge platform for all the modern businesses. It provides huge opportunities to them to increase their sales. You can also hire the expert facebook ads services for your business’s growth. I have also hired an expert team and having good experience with their service.
Zeleke28
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Postby Arthur Burger » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:22 pm

Also guilty :?

Loved here and E.E.
Hello old timers :D
Arthur Burger
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Return to Old School Discussions and Questions