Name the 80's mix?

The Real Old School Hip Hop Forum....Share and spread knowledge. Keep the history alive...Please limit discussions in the forum to topics no later than 1986.

Name the 80's mix?

Postby souljazz1971 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Hi people,
I know it's been a long time since I posted,just busy with other matters and putting the hours in to earn a living.
Anyway,I'm trying to put a name to a mix that has stayed in my head for decades (yes,I am that old :D ) I did record it back then,but I'm struggling to locate which audio tape it's on. The mix was similar to Steinski method,using clips from old movies. My memory is somewhat vague,but it starts off with a funky beat,then a caption from a movie what I think is Humphrey Boggart saying,"how about now",and someone replies,"wait a minute." This is repeated several times and then,quote,"if you can't stand it as much.." Then a whistle is mixed in along with drum breaks. Then another sample with a human beatbox in the background with two rappers,one after the other saying,"this is a recording..." Then a sample of a two seater plane taking off,but sped up I think. Later on i the mix,I remember distinctively cartoon characters,I think the Chipmunks,saying,"what I want you to do is go out,and buy this record",another chipmunk replies,"but I don't want to". Then The Real Roxanne is sampled in,"go ill with the drummer." At the end Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd sing "THE RABBIT KICKED THE BUCKET. THE BUCKET. THE BUCKET KICKED. THE RABBIT KICKED THE RABBIT. THE BUCKET KICKED THE RABBIT

Any ideas people. Honest I haven't dreamt this :D
souljazz1971
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Re: Name the 80's mix?

Postby skELATOn » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:01 pm

If your name is reference to the year you were born, then we're both "that old". Good year ay.

You've just planted the most annoying bug now.....
I know the mix, well, its vaguely spinning in my mind.
I remember the "go out and buy this record". I know the 'rabbit kick the bucket' was sampled at the end of either 'Bang Zoom' or the b-side 'Howies T'd off'.

I know, i was absolutely no help at all but as its gonna bug me so much, i shall wrack my brains til i succeed :)

to be continued..................
skELATOn
Old School Member
Old School Member

Postby souljazz1971 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:43 am

skELATOn wrote:If your name is reference to the year you were born, then we're both "that old". Good year ay

Yes 1971 was when I was turnd upside down and had my rear-end whacked :D I wish I was 20 in 1971 so I could experience the 70's. But socially and politically in the 70's it was apparently poor.

skELATOn wrote:You've just planted the most annoying bug now.....
I know the mix, well, its vaguely spinning in my mind.
I remember the "go out and buy this record". I know the 'rabbit kick the bucket' was sampled at the end of either 'Bang Zoom' or the b-side 'Howies T'd off'.

I know, i was absolutely no help at all but as its gonna bug me so much, i shall wrack my brains til i succeed :)

to be continued..................

Oh dear,sorry to put an annoying,yet good bug in your head :) Had a rethink,the 'wabbit kicked the bucket' was not on the end,it was Peace and Unity from James Brown,where the artist was scratching on unity with 'take me to the madis gras' playing. Then a quick funky break,then ends with 'sounds da funk'
souljazz1971
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Postby skELATOn » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:22 pm

I think my brain is just mixing up all the sample based mixes i've heard.

Is it the one where, i think, Lauren Becall says "You know how to whistle don't you Steve? You just put your lips together and.." then a human beatbox comes in..?

That "go out and buy this record" is as clear as day. I bet it was sampled by loads of dj's.

I'm actually searching youtube, putting in loads of stupid key words...Hey, thats how i located most of the tracks in my don playlists :)
skELATOn
Old School Member
Old School Member

Postby skELATOn » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:38 pm

My bad. The one i was thinking of is one of those Double D and Steinski mixes.
I just went on youtube and got taken back to when we used jam in my boys house in Battersea. Three dj's and three of us rappers... Truly were the good ol' days.

I know, i'm really not helping, but hey, its good for my present day brain :)
skELATOn
Old School Member
Old School Member

Postby souljazz1971 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:27 am

skELATOn wrote: The one i was thinking of is one of those Double D and Steinski mixes.

Damn good mixes though

skELATOn wrote:I just went on youtube and got taken back to when we used jam in my boys house in Battersea. Three dj's and three of us rappers... Truly were the good ol' days.

I can only guess that they were,as I wasn't that involved,although as I am white,it wouldn't look correct.
I find black people do rap better...please Professor Green give it up,just embarrassing. Although the Beastie weren't too bad. I'm not too keen on late rap as it seems advocate vulgar behaviour,whereas 80's rap was a broadcast about the crime in the communities.
Just been flicking through youtube as we have in the UK an advert that uses the 45 king 900 number played by a brass band...well,you can see here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehnpfd8gtzE
I've now established the sample is from Marva Whitney's Unwind yourself,superb track. Also looking at Oldschool beats,this is a good mix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO2Ocu2w ... ure=relmfu
souljazz1971
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Postby skELATOn » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:11 am

souljazz1971 wrote:I can only guess that they were,as I wasn't that involved,although as I am white,it wouldn't look correct.
I find black people do rap better...please Professor Green give it up,just embarrassing.

Bruv, i'm white aswell.
One of the afore mentioned d.js was also white. We jammed as hip hop heads. Colour was never a question and it definitely didn't look incorrect.
It really isn't a factor.
3rd Bass were pure hip hop. House of Pain were hype. Eminem is technically brilliant.
Professor Green and other more known rappers, black or white, are pretty wack. Prof. Green was a decent battle rapper. Check him out on youtube.
To find decent rappers of any race, you gota dig.
Nowadays white rappers are on the same level as black. I don't ever hear the question of race when kats talk about rappers, not from people my age, 40, nor my sons age, 21.
I still rap now, as does my son.
I've always thought black rappers had better voices and style but white rappers make up for that with technical ability and lyrics.
Where are you from?
skELATOn
Old School Member
Old School Member

Postby souljazz1971 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:02 pm

skELATOn wrote:Where are you from?

sunny Manchester :D
souljazz1971
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Postby skELATOn » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:20 am

souljazz1971 wrote:sunny Manchester

I went to Manchester once. On tour with a band i was rapping for. Yeh! I know! With my white self :D
skELATOn
Old School Member
Old School Member

Postby blackjacksavage » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:12 pm

souljazz1971, I remember a mix but it had Dirty Harry's "I know what you're thinking,did I fire six shots or only five,since this is a 44 magnum and will blow your head clean off do you feel lucky. Gun shots then the wabbit kicked the bucket!
blackjacksavage
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Postby bruce741 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:43 am

ciscoccna cisco ccna
pass-4sure Pass4sure
bruce741
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Postby CruzHar » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:06 am

I've been looking for this record for a while. Does anyone have it for sale?
CruzHar
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Postby Arthur Burger » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:09 pm

I know the question is years old but I think it's this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oCgzWSBSC4
Arthur Burger
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Return to Old School Discussions and Questions