Scared Straight

Non Old School Related topics allowed here. Use good judgment when posting.

Scared Straight

Postby troylsmith21 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:29 am

The first one is not going to show but the rest will because "This video contains an audio track that has not been authorized by WMG. The audio has been disabled"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocQFb_BQ33c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Fw2y2S ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjO9LQvDDww
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEiwmcic ... re=related
FOLLOW THE REST ON YOU TUBE.

1978 I was in 6th grade when this came out. And the talk in school the next day was triple life? What you have to die 3 times and then come back and tell the warden I am ready to do that other 10 years I owe you. Hell of a story.

They show the positive change in many involved years later, of course everyone doesn't get the message. A real good look for those that never seen it before.

Scared Straight! is a 1978 documentary directed by Arnold Shapiro. Narrated by Peter Falk, the subject of the documentary is a group of cocky teenaged juvenile delinquents and the attempts to make them end their criminal ways by introducing them to actual convicts. Filmed at Rahway State Prison, a group of inmates known as the "lifers" berate, scream at, and terrify the young hoodlums and attempt to "scare them straight" (hence the film's title) by showing an ugly, harsh presentation of the realities of prison life.

The documentary was shown on television in the late 1970s. It was aired uncensored and marked the first time that the word "frak" was broadcast on many networks. The cast includes a drug dealer and counterfeit document manufacturer from Westchester County (Mikie C), a gang member from Jersey City (Jerome Watts), an arsonist and bomb builder from Bridgeport (Jon Shipiro), the son of a Mafia informant (Carlo Gallo), and a 17-year-old chop shop parts dealer and car thief from the Bronx (Jesus Rodriguez). At film's end, the teenagers say that they have decided that they don't want to end up in jail. The film ends with a "roll call" of the teens, revealing that most were "scared straight", though a few were said to have reoffended.

The film won the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature in 1978. [1] It also won Emmy Awards for Outstanding Individual Achievement–Informational Program and Outstanding Informational Program.

The original Scared Straight! was followed by Scared Straight! Another Story (1980), Scared Straight! 10 Years Later (1987), and (on MTV and UPN) Scared Straight! 20 Years Later (1999). The last sequel, hosted by Danny Glover, showed that the majority of the teens in the original program were, in fact, "scared straight" and went on to lead happy, productive lives.

Teenagers in the 1978 and 1980 documentaries ranged from 15- to 19-year-old repeat offenders of crimes ranging from petty theft and public intoxication to gambling, counterfeiting, and racketeering. None of the individuals in the original documentary was ever convicted of a felony. Most were from the tri-state (Connecticut, New Jersey and New York) area and agreed to accept the experiment in lieu of jail time and/or probation/public service. The producers asked for a range of youth that came from poor inner-city neighborhoods to the affluent suburbs of New York City. The recidivism rate of the original two casts was less than 10%.

As a result of the film, many states introduced "scared straight" programs in an attempt to rehabilitate young delinquents. The effectiveness of such programs has been questioned, most significantly by a non-peer reviewed meta-analysis report of seven such programs by Anthony Petrosino et al. (2002, updated 2003), which indicated that "scared straight" programs not only failed to deter crime, but actually led to more offending behavior.[2]

A brief parody of Scared Straight was included in the television series The Office in the 2006 episode entitled The Convict. Steve Carell, playing office manager Michael Scott, performs as a character of his creation, named Prison Mike, who acts out a toned-down version of the type of speech given in the original Scared Straight. While uncredited as such, the performance is clearly based upon Scared Straight.

In episode 42 of Beavis & Butt-Head, "Scared Straight", Principal McVicker restarts a Scared Straight program, and the duo find themselves having fun in prison [3]. They befriend two prisoners who are Iron Maiden fans and play air guitar with them[4].
Obama's the President, PULL YOUR PANTS UP!

Troy from HARLEM, One
troylsmith21

Re: Scared Straight

Postby DjReadyRed » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:51 pm

I saw this back in the day maybe 6th 0r 7 grade and I laughed my azz off cause I was not there but had I been in Rahway I would have been scared as hell maybe!

"Everybody take off you shoes.... I said take your plucking shoes and hurry the pluck up!
Homeboy was serious when he made them do that!
I can say that it had a impact on me!
And anything you ever do I already did
Shoulda seen me rock the house when you was a kid!
Keith "Cowboy" Wiggins Rip Furious Five Mc

http://www.hiphopgods.com/Dj%20Ready%20Red
http://www.discogs.com/artist/DJ+Ready+Red
DjReadyRed

Postby shbzz7 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:13 pm

Thanks.. I didn't work out and was late as hell too work watching this 2day.

Yup, I was about the same age as you two when that came out.

The thing that helped me to realize that the penitentiary wasnt the place for me was when the white guy in the fisherman's cap says something to the effect that he would jump over the females in the front row to get a piece of dude's fine young ass.

We talked about the show the next day n school & everybody too was shocked at the fact that there was really nothing from keeping a man doing life from knocking their blocks clear across the room if they didnt do what they were told.
shbzz7
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby topp32 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:55 am

I think all of us around the same age saw this, it had the same impact for me as well..I can say I wasnt an angel through my teen and early 20's years..but I knew not to do anything crazy or stupid as to be put in the pen for sure.. classic docu that is timeless..
Who you lookin at with a face like that?
topp32
Old School Professor
Old School Professor

Postby MECCA1000 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:52 pm

Yo, I know some dudes that went there ..... and it went down just like the videos. They would single out the jokers and tough guys ..... get all up in their face, take their shoes, make'em cry .... scared the s--t outta them!

One lifer pulled out his pants pocket and told a kid to hold it the whole time while he walked back and forth talking to the rest of the group! I still remember the quote my friends heard 'till this day ..... the lifer said; if you let go of my pocket i'll kill you before the guards can get to me! He then sold the kid to the next inmate for a pack of smokes and made the kid walk holding his pocket! crazy! :shock:

As a kid, just hearing those stories and seeing the faces of those kids that went was enough for me! They had another group go and I passed on going .... told them my moms wouldn't sign the permission slip. I never told mom about the trip cause she probably would have signed it :P
MECCA1000
Old School Professor
Old School Professor

Postby EyeGetzRaw » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:06 am

The next generation of the Scared Straight program was targeted at the Hip Hop generation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YC3-2Al3Kk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTveTi1jT9s
"Just throw ya hands in the air....and wave 'em like you just don't care.....keep 'em there....run the jewels."
EyeGetzRaw
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Return to Old School Lounge