The Making of Bobby Brown's "Don't Be Cruel"

Non Old School Related topics allowed here. Use good judgment when posting.

Postby uptownboy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:56 pm

While some record label honchos shared the public’s indifferent attitude towards Bobby’s solo career, a young executive named Louil Silas, Jr was determined to mold Brown into the soul sensation he believed him to be. With no one at the company really paying attention to Bobby, Louil put
his underdog singer in the studio with relative newcomers LA & Babyface and Teddy Riley.

A lot A&R people were afraid to work with us, because they thought we were under exclusive contract to SOLAR Records, recalls Kenny Babyface” Edmonds. Along with his partner Antonio LA Reid, they were the musical becaons behind their own group The Deele as well as producing the Whispers’ classic Rock Steady.

LA and Babyface had also worked with Silas on tracks for upcoming MCA acts Pebbles and The Boys. “Louil was one of the few people who wasn’t afraid of (SOLAR Records boss) Dick Griffey, which was the reason we got our shot to do Bobby.” Visiting the production duo in their Hollywood apartment, Bobby listened to Babyface sing demos of “Don’t Be Cruel” and “Every Little Step.”

Thinking back, Babyface recalls, “We wrote songs that were sweet and nice, but they also had a little edge to them. Bobby was pretty agreeable when he heard the material.” Not long after that initial meeting, Brown began recording with the duo at Silver Lake Studios in Los Angeles.

“Bobby had a pure vibe and a passion that was unmistakable, but he just needed a little guidance,” says Babyface, who cites “Roni” as his personal favorite. “We just went in and recorded without problems. We didn’t spend a lot of time in the studio, but listening to Bobby Brown record those songs, it was obvious that he had star power.

For the rest of this story, go to:
http://soulsummer.com/what-about-bobby
uptownboy
Old School Member
Old School Member

Re: The Making of Bobby Brown's "Don't Be Cruel"

Postby troylsmith21 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:35 pm

Real good story my brother.
I always dug that album.
Tender Roni was always my favorite. But the whole side rocked and a couple on side 2. A hell of a talent.

Peace
Obama's the President, PULL YOUR PANTS UP!

Troy from HARLEM, One
troylsmith21

Postby neb dirty » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:55 pm

In spite of all of the less-than-stellar moments in his life, I love Bobby Brown's music. Very good info coming from Babyface.
neb dirty
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby mike t » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:23 pm

Thanks for posting, its funny how you hear people talk ish about his voice but he had 1988/89 on lock! That album was straight up DOPE! Don't be cruel is 1 of my alltime favorite jams.
mike t
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby Harlem East » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:25 pm

Maaannnn this album HERE. :) I dare anybody that was in a dance crew in Harlem back when this dropped to lie and say they didn't have group routines for "My Prerogative" , "Don't Be Cruel" and "Every Little Step" to rock at the church talent shows and house parties when this album dropped. Great memories, quality album. Didn't know Larry Blackmon (From Cameo) wrote "I Need A Girlfriend" on the first album, though (Also heard/read that Smooth B Of Nice And Smooth fame wrote his raps on Girl Next Door but I could be getting my info mixed up).
Adventure, Science Fiction, and Crime Fiction for download: http://www.wowio.com/creativeelamentzstudios

Vigilance - Available now:
http://www.indyplanet.com/store/product ... ts_id=3584
Harlem East
Old School Scholar
Old School Scholar

Postby krazykid18 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:57 pm

my brother always tells me about bobby, ll cool j , run dmc, guy, heavy d and every other big rapper/rnb star who was onstage with Bobby at his concert in madison square garden i wish they release it on video or youtube this is legendary in my opinion
krazykid18
Old School Scholar
Old School Scholar

Return to Old School Lounge