What You Listening too - today!

Non Old School Related topics allowed here. Use good judgment when posting.

Re: What You Listening too - today!

Postby rchecka » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:51 pm

mp wrote:i have been listening to this on and off all day to day - kind of chills me out!

Love that album^^, Especially the track "Come Live with Me"

This 3 day weekend…

Various Artists - Best Of Cookin' (LP) 1999 (Ubiquity Records)

This massive 4LP collection compiles some of the funkiest acid I have heard. Overflowing with real jazz and electronic based beats, highly recommended.

Ronnie Laws - Fever (LP) 1976 (Blue Note Records)

Blue Note on the verge of disco, and his skills on the sax grace that genre nicely. File under : Loungy laid back disco jazz.

Statik Selektah – Spell My Name Right 2007 Brick Records

Yep, it’s hyped, but justifiably so. Peep the guest spots ^. The beats are TOP NOTCH production. All kinds of recognizable samples are laced throughout the album. I absolutely LOVE that Big Shug track Punch Out! WOW! You don’t even have to be an ex Nintendo Junkie to appreciate the “Mike Tyson’s – Punchout” videogame samples SS drops on that. Talk about 8 bit bliss, 8 bit production can sound stupid, or it can sound PHAT, and on this case, SS drops fire. Honestly, I’m with Uptownkid on this one in thinking this is the best album so far in 2007. I’m gonna recommend the hell outta this one to anyone looking for quality unpretentious Hip Hop.
rchecka
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby EyeGetzRaw » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:25 pm

mp wrote:i have been listening to this on and off all day to day - kind of chills me out!

Nice one MP...Eye picked up on her a couple of years back. Never figured the Harp could be that interesting, but Eye was really diggin her stuff.

Check for this one too...

"Just throw ya hands in the air....and wave 'em like you just don't care.....keep 'em there....run the jewels."
EyeGetzRaw
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby Donn King » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:30 pm

Statik Selektah also did "Animal" for AZ's last album and a Nas joint, which i can't remember the name of, which was better than anything on "Hip Hop Is Dead".

I like the AZ/'Mega joint on that Statik Selektah. Definately NOT the best album of '07, though.
I'm The Kiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng
Donn King
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby EyeGetzRaw » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:34 pm

rchecka wrote:

This massive 4LP collection compiles some of the funkiest acid I have heard. Overflowing with real jazz and electronic based beats, highly recommended.

yo rchecka...that label has got some ridiculous compilations...also check for the Ubiquity / Luv N' Haight imprint.

Some favs from that outift:

The Rewind! series.

The Cookin' series.

Soulful.

Brotherhood.

Bag Of Goodies.

Trippin' - The Groove Merchant Collection.
"Just throw ya hands in the air....and wave 'em like you just don't care.....keep 'em there....run the jewels."
EyeGetzRaw
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby rchecka » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:56 pm

EyeGetzRaw wrote:
rchecka wrote:

yo rchecka...that label has got some ridiculous compilations...also check for the Ubiquity / Luv N' Haight imprint.

Some favs from that outift:

The Rewind! series.

The Cookin' series.

Soulful.

Brotherhood.

Bag Of Goodies.

Trippin' - The Groove Merchant Collection.

NO Doubt! Ubiquity is on point with it's various comps, Cookin' is nice! Rewind is funk revisted so that is REALLY good, I haven't peeped the Trippin' comps though... Good lookin
rchecka
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby rchecka » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:33 pm

Donn King wrote:
I like the AZ/'Mega joint on that Statik Selektah. Definately NOT the best album of '07, though.

What do you know Rookie!?

I like how you say it is NOT the best album, as if you are the only guy qualified to make that call. We used to have a ponk named Donny Cash that used to post on the old board that had that big ass ego problem too. :twisted: He actually told people they were wrong on saying certain songs were good, cause his unwarrented ego problem made him think his opinion was the only one that mattered. It was amusing at first, but a sad indicator of his small limited cranium.

I think he died when some girl backhanded him for acting like his sh!t don't stink, cause we haven't heard from him in a while. Hopefully the chick knocked some common sense into him.

News flash ponk, my opinion is just as valid as anyone else's, so if I say it is the best, then it is. You gonna tell me that the color blue ain't pretty next? That's about as futile as the argument you are trying to make with me.

My pet-peeve is big-headed fools saying "You are wrong" on something opinion based. Opinions are not wrong or right genius. Actually, I take that back, my opinion is right, yours is wrong, how bout that? :roll:

Ayite, DC, back to reality, what do YOU know the best album is, since you are the only head here qualified?
rchecka
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby Donn King » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:03 pm

Is it your time of the month?

There isn't really a best album of '07 but The Prodigy is better. The AZ Memphis Sessions is better. The Turf Talk is better. The UGK is better. The Jay Z is better (didn't think i'd say that). Top Shelf '88 is better. Scarface is better.

I like the Statik Selektah but those type of producer compilations are good but too all over the place to be as good as, say, the Prodigy mixtape album.
Donn King
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby rchecka » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:17 pm

Donn King wrote:Is it your time of the month?

There isn't really a best album of '07 but The Prodigy is better. The AZ Memphis Sessions is better. The Turf Talk is better. The UGK is better. The Jay Z is better (didn't think i'd say that). Top Shelf '88 is better. Scarface is better.

I like the Statik Selektah but those type of producer compilations are good but too all over the place to be as good as, say, the Prodigy mixtape album.

Blue is the best color of 2007, fact!

Have you even heard this album all the way thru DC, or am I arguing with you based on your knowledge of a few tracks.

and heres the thing...

Memphis Sessions, although great, is worse...
Prodigy, great, maybe not worse, but slightly less better...
Top Shelf ain't official, so it isn't a contender. Unless you can actually go to the store and buy an album, it aint a real album, a limited number of shady CDs might have been dropped in Japan, but how can that count? Even though it is the free DL of the year, those dudes didn't drop an actual album you can go out and buy. If it WAS official, I would still say SS is better...

Those others are ayite, but SS BLOWS away the typical album format of those other releases by shear production superiority and MC lineup.

Sorry dude, you are wrong, I am right. Admit it. FESS UP!!!

SAY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
rchecka
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby EyeGetzRaw » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:31 pm

EyeGetzRaw
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby Donn King » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:48 pm

I have a real copy of "Top Shelf '88" and it's coming out over here soon so it's an official album.

Yes i've got the Statik Selektah album and, frankly, i highly doubt you've even heard the UGK, Jay Z, Turf Talk and Scarface.

This is not rocket science and it's not even me thinking my opinion is superior but Prodigy back to his best over Alchemist beats on songs like "Nickel And A Nail", "Return Of The Mac", "Rotten Apple", "Mac Ten Handle", "My Priorities" and "Stuck On You" > compilation album with bums like Red Cafe, Mims, Reks, Uncle Murda, Esoteric and Evidence and distinctly average rappers like Cassidy, Termanology, Big Shug and Royce Da 5'9.

Similarly, AZ rapping over Al Green samples > > compilation album with bums like Red Cafe, Mims, Reks, Uncle Murda, Esoteric and Evidence and distinctly average rappers like Cassidy, Termanology, Big Shug and Royce Da 5'9.

That sounds harsh because i do like the Statik Selektah but my problem with it is it's just a bunch of random rappers thrown together on tracks a lot of the time and it sounds like it. Indeed, the tracks which work best are the solo tracks (Big Shug) and the pass-the-mic tracks between 2 rappers who have some sort of history (AZ and Cormega; Freeway and Cassidy).

In short, it's a nice little album but album of the year? Uh, no.
Last edited by Donn King on Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donn King
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby Donn King » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:57 pm

No offense to anyone from Philly but until Cassidy can actually make an album with more than 3 good songs i'll always consider him average despite his skills and battling pedigree.
Donn King
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby Uptownkid » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:21 pm

Rap album of 2007 to me is that, Spell My Name Right' - beats are tight, there's a consistant tracklisting/vibe and a hell of a line up of emcees......followed by 'Return of the Mac' and 'the Big Doe Rehab'....then 'the Return of the Magnificent'.....and shout out to Scarface's new joint, 'made' - its short, but its dope.

....and yes, Cassidy's album is wack with the exception of the track, 'damn I miss the game'

IMO, of course......

peace.
Uptownkid
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby Donn King » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:30 pm

"Big Doe Rehab" is better than that Wu-Tang abortion but it's still disappointing and a little generic like "More Fish" was. It feels more like a mixtape or that Theodore Unit album than a real Ghost album like "Supreme Clientle" or "Fish Scale". I guess that's doing 3 albums in the space of 2 years syndrome. Best believe "Barrel Brothers" and "Yolanda's House" are my joints tho.

Beanie Sigel album is disappointing as hell, due to the KennyG sounding production, but the Freeway is pretty damn good, although not as good as "Philadelphia Freeway".
Donn King
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby rchecka » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:59 pm

Donn King wrote:I have a real copy of "Top Shelf '88" and it's coming out over here soon so it's an official album.

Yes i've got the Statik Selektah album and, frankly, i highly doubt you've even heard the UGK, Jay Z, Turf Talk and Scarface.

This is not rocket science and it's not even me thinking my opinion is superior but Prodigy back to his best over Alchemist beats on songs like "Nickel And A Nail", "Return Of The Mac", "Rotten Apple", "Mac Ten Handle", "My Priorities" and "Stuck On You" > compilation album with bums like Red Cafe, Mims, Reks, Uncle Murda, Esoteric and Evidence and distinctly average rappers like Cassidy, Termanology, Big Shug and Royce Da 5'9.

Similarly, AZ rapping over Al Green samples > > compilation album with bums like Red Cafe, Mims, Reks, Uncle Murda, Esoteric and Evidence and distinctly average rappers like Cassidy, Termanology, Big Shug and Royce Da 5'9.

That sounds harsh because i do like the Statik Selektah but my problem with it is it's just a bunch of random rappers thrown together on tracks a lot of the time and it sounds like it. Indeed, the tracks which work best are the solo tracks (Big Shug) and the pass-the-mic tracks between 2 rappers who have some sort of history (AZ and Cormega; Freeway and Cassidy).

In short, it's a nice little album but album of the year? Uh, no.

See man, good debate until you got to the last sentence. This is how you shoulda started your point instead of making the outlandish claim that I am wrong by having an opinion you disagree with. If you disagree, fine, but I aint wrong. (I am having deja vu right now, didn't I already tell you this 100 times?!) It IS the album of the year per me and per Uptownkid, and read the other reviews while you are at it, cause overall, the album is being heralded. Your "knowitall" attitude man, hurts your valid points, try to recognize that and start respecting other's views around here. You literally attack people if your opinion is different, that aint right. Deal with it.
rchecka
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby Donn King » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:03 pm

Well, perhaps if you weren't so wrong most of the time i wouldn't have to correct you and as far as i can see here it was you who started with the "attacks" after i disagreed with you.

NOT the best album of '07. No album which has an annoying hack like DJ Khaled on it can be called album of the year in any year. Ever.
Donn King
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

PreviousNext

Return to Old School Lounge