Is OSHH Dead?

Non Old School Related topics allowed here. Use good judgment when posting.

Is OSHH Dead?

Postby Repo136 » Tue May 24, 2016 6:21 pm

I've not frequented this forum since....well, I suppose the rise of Facebook which is almost 10 years now.
The glory days of OSHH seem to be well and truly behind us now so I'm wondering where does everyone hang out these days? Any particular FB groups?
Check out my old school hip hop Blog! http://repo136.blogspot.com
Repo136
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Re: Is OSHH Dead?

Postby JohnG » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:30 pm

I think it's a combination of a few things...

Every year the subject of the site gets another year older so I suppose the audience isn't quite as close to it as they once were.

Social media plays a part (OSHH has more Facebook followers than this board has members). People have other places to start the same conversations they used to use forums for.

Along the same lines, a lot of the discussions that used to happen on forums now happen in the Comments sections of posts on the main site.

I'm actually currently looking into integrating the forum more directly into the main site right now. Converting the existing content has been trickier than I'd hoped though.
Founder and Administrator
http://www.oldschoolhiphop.com
JohnG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dutch Old School Fan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:55 pm

Repo136 wrote:I've not frequented this forum since....well, I suppose the rise of Facebook which is almost 10 years now.
The glory days of OSHH seem to be well and truly behind us now so I'm wondering where does everyone hang out these days? Any particular FB groups?

Hi Repo. Hope you are doing fine. Just got an email today from Ramses in the OSSH mailbox and direct. First time i checked in since years. For me it's about priorities but once in a while i re-up some tapes on my blog. Just made a '1977-1980' post. I think you have them all, but maybe some new 'kids' will discover these gems and learn more about the dna of hip hop.
Check my downloadable collection of radio and live show tapes on http://old-school-hiphop-tapes.blogspot.com/ (250+ online tapes)
Dutch Old School Fan
Old School Scholar
Old School Scholar

Postby fizza » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:05 am

I think a good portion of the people who are the generation into this just ended up settling down with families and that obviously takes precedence.

I don't think OSHH is dead, it's definitely in a period of dormancy and also facebook/twitter/etc.. have had their effect but I'm not really keen on the facebook format for things like this, there are still a couple of forums that seem to get decent traffic/posts and while I think it may be difficult to see a future where a forum is as busy as it was pre facebook, I think all the drama went to facebook/twitter/youtube/etc. too so there is an opportunity to rebuild a smaller but well focused forum maybe?
fizza
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby Simmo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:29 pm

I check in to look every now and then but there never seems to be much activity.

Shame as this was the best place to discuss old school Hip Hop for many years.
Simmo
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby fizza » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:45 pm

Simmo wrote:I check in to look every now and then but there never seems to be much activity.

Shame as this was the best place to discuss old school Hip Hop for many years.

Hey Simmo, I hope you're doing well m8. It is a shame I agree, EE looks in a similar state, a bit busier but nothing like it was years ago now.
fizza
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby 5 Grand » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:04 am

John G

You need to upgrade the website. Lately Ive been frequenting Allhiphop.com. Its mostly younger cats and I'm one of the few members that knows anything about the Old School but there's a lot of traffic and that's why I frequent there

Their message board has features that makes their website superior. You should go to Allhiphop.com and join. Their message board is more active than Oldschoolhiphop was in its prime so Facebook has nothing to do with it.

I spoke with some of the moderators at Allhiphop.com and told them that they should have an old school forum and they said its an idea worth looking into. Maybe the two websites could merge, or you could set up a forum over there or vice versa.

Also, there ARE Hip Hop groups on Facebook but its not the same as a message board.
5 Grand
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby dj d-lite » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:21 pm

Been a while since I visit this site! Still in contact with some of the members on facebook, nice to see some of the old heads still posting here!
dj d-lite
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby cutpurseboy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:26 pm

I started a few topics that I felt were worthy of a good discussion over the course of a few months but they didn't get any replies.
you don't have to lie to kick it...
cutpurseboy
Old School Member
Old School Member

Return to Old School Lounge