DJ Plummer Interview

This forum is ONLY to discuss items or submit information or comments about the main site. All other posts will be deleted.

DJ Plummer Interview

Postby JohnG » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:43 am

Founder and Administrator
http://www.oldschoolhiphop.com
JohnG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DJ Plummer Interview

Postby Dj Dres » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:36 pm

Great interview!!
PEACE!
Dj Dres
Old School Professor
Old School Professor

Postby mikesuede56 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:26 pm

Yes it was a great interview, but sadly there were a few things about back in the day Ron forgets. Such as he failed to mention how infuential and helpful " Action Jackson" was on his initial Mobile DJ setup, or how many tips Gregory Myers unselfishly gave him about mixing.

Plummer was nice don't get me wrong he had his own style. Actually he had the sparsest crates of any DJ on that scene. I know because I personally tried to use them one Sunday Afternoon in St Albans Park in Queen. Dude was a surgeon, tracked at less than a gram.

Ron Plummer you have to give "Action Jackson " his props man if not for him you would have not been able to make the fish Dance at Riis Beach.
I remember your compressed wood folded horns, and I know exactly where you got your JBL ring Radiators. (I aint no snitch), Plummer I am so happy to see that you are alive and well not many of us are.

At the time you became prominent on the scene Flowers had stopped blending Babe Ruth with James Brown he was more apt to blend in EWF Moment of Truth or whatever flew into that MadMan's mind.

I am laughing because I remember how low the gains were on the Phase Linear amps you used to use on the low end because everytime you pushed them the right side would blow but they had a cleaner sound then the macintosh.

Thanks OLDSCHOOLHIPHOP for interviewing a legend.
The Suede Man
mikesuede56
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Postby mikesuede56 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:51 pm

Oh and I forgot to say one thing to DJ Ron Plummer "SkinTight dodododoooo!!!!"
mikesuede56
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Postby rplummer » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:42 am

Found a link in my email this morning to this latest and always welcomed comment, critique, analysis or just addition or correction to the history.

Thirty-five years is a long time in one's life. I married, developed a career, raised a family, divorced and re-married. Now I'm attempting to re-prioritize my life to recycling opportunities that I had back in the day to young people today searching or wandering through life with a desire to make a difference. Of course there will be people, events, places and ideas that age and life's experiences will contribute to memory lapses. That's why I'm thankful the Internet with it's expansive reach has become such a vital and necessary tool to maintain the histories of our short time here on this earth.

I thought I had articulated during the first part of the interview how "Action Jackson" was a pivotal part of that very short period of time I was on that scene, as well as his larger influence with other groups (i.e. Fantasia). If not, then my apologies, though that's what forums like this are for (see first paragraph). I do regret my oversight regarding Gregg, who I regarded as a good friend and great mixer. Interestingly Gregg was on a steep trajectory towards Larry Levan's universe and we didn't really run into him much once his playing days began. I do remember those times in that space on the second floor of a club on Flatbush Avenue, up the block from Church Ave and those times he and other's in the crew would spin for me - Gregg was awesome.

--- All I have time for right now... I have to run... I teach on Saturdays... Later ---
Ron Plummer
PGP Fingerprint: 433C 2076 11EC 5125 3FB2 23D5 53F0 A547 DB0D D481
rplummer
Old School Legend
Old School Legend

Postby Mike Barnes » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:05 pm

mikesuede56, Greg Meyers was a very taleneted cat in regards to rockin a spot, My man, Infact, Greg Meyer's used to sometimes open up for Larry Levan at the Paradise Garage(Construction throwdowns, During the late 70's(Around 1976/77), Greg Meyer's used to run with Larry Levan(Garage), David Mancuso(Loft),

Tee Scott(Better Days/Zanzibar), Francios K(Pippens), Nicky Siano(The Gallary), Larry Patterson(Zanzibar), Etc, During the mid 70's to mid 80's), mikesuede56, Do you remember a cat by the name of Ernie Kendall(Rip)(Who used to sell mixtapes at West st basketball tournament games, During the late 70's to late 80's, My

Man), Also, Do you remember Big Bob from Brooklyn(Empire Skating Ring, During the 80's/90's), Who used to run with Flowers, During the 70's/80's at Riis Beach, Rockway Beach(Far Rockaway,Queens), Lincoln Terrace on Eastern Parkway in Brooklyn, Etc, mikesuede56, Do you remember Rick Richardson from Brooklyn, Who

Used to mix at Pippens(Which was located on 39thst between Madison ave and 5thave in Manhattan, During the mid 70's to mid 80's), Rick Richardson was a vastly talented cat with his, In regards to rockin a spot all-night to the morning lite, My man/LOL, Infact, Rick Richardson came thru the door mixing at Pippens after Preston Powell(Who used to mix on BLS, During the mid 70's to early 80's), And, Bert Bevans from

Hollis,Queens, Francios K came thru the door mixing at Pippins in 1980, In place of Rick Richardson(Who from what i hear, Has never been seen or heard from since 1980, My man), mikesuede56, I do remember throwdowns at St.Alban's Park(Merrick Blvd close to Linden blvd and Benson burger's, During the 70's and a

Few blocks from the Fantasia, During the late 70's to early 80's, My man, mikesuede56, They're used to be a basketball tournament at the St.Alban's park right arcoss the street from the St.Alban's park that you we're referring to earlier, My man(Which was located right arcoss the street from a fire Station on Merrick Blvd, My man/LOL.

Much Respect
Mike Barnes
Mike Barnes
Old School Scholar
Old School Scholar

Return to OldSchoolHipHop.Com Announcements and Updates