Kool Herc Names Lil Wayne, Chris Brown Among His Top 5 Emcee

The Real Old School Hip Hop Forum....Share and spread knowledge. Keep the history alive...Please limit discussions in the forum to topics no later than 1986.

Kool Herc Names Lil Wayne, Chris Brown Among His Top 5 Emcee

Postby romeorock » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:43 am

by Paul Meara

posted Sunday April 12, 2015 at 01:00PM PDT | 42 comments

Kool Herc Names Lil Wayne, Chris Brown Among His Top 5 Emcees Of All Time

Kool Herc names his top 5 emcees and likens Dr. Martin Luther King's message to Hip Hop culture's beginnings.

DJ Kool Herc, one of Hip Hop culture's pioneers was recently asked by The Combat Jack Show to name his five greatest emcees and his answer may come as a surprise to some. While two of his selections helped develop what modern Hip Hop emceeing has become, a couple of others raised eyebrows.

“Melle Mel, Krs-One,” the founding DJ said. “Lil Wayne, he’s very witty. Kanye West, he’s witty; more technical than Weezy. I listen, man. And Breezy, Chris Brown, I dance.” He explained that Weezy creates hits and that everything he does garners attention: “I knew Wayne was going to be he who he is before he did…Every record he touched that he was on, they were hits!”

Another interesting tidbit from Combat and Herc's conversation came when Kool Herc likened Dr. Martin Luther King's message to Hip Hop culture's intended beginnings.

"[Hip Hop] aint no black thing. It's a we thing!" he explained. "It was no Puerto Rican thing, no white thing, no black thing. You come to the party, behave yourself, do your thing and you catch a coup and I got you. And this is the frontrunner of Martin Luther King's dream, [it] came in the form of Hip Hop."

In 2014, Herc, Queensbridge great Marley Marl and the Universal Zulu Nation joined forces for the month-long “31 Days of Non Stop Hip Hop.” The event was an opportunity for younger fans of Hip Hop to meet some of the culture's forefathers and learn about Hip Hop's early days.
romeorock
Old School Professor
Old School Professor

Re: Kool Herc Names Lil Wayne, Chris Brown Among His Top 5 E

Postby romeorock » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:44 am

this does not make any sense to me at all. chris brown??? he's not even a rapper. lil wayne????? of all of the great emcee's he has heard in his life time he picks these two??
romeorock
Old School Professor
Old School Professor

Postby ~J~C~O))) » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:39 pm

This guys like Grandpa Simpson now. Dont know where the frak he is or what the frak is happening.
~J~C~O)))
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby mike t » Fri May 08, 2015 4:19 pm

He probably is hoping they'll throw some $$$$$ his way for talking that bs
mike t
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby Trooper » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:06 am

Here Herc is clearly showing that not only did he start Hip Hop..he also started the art of Trolling :-)

What other reason would there be for mentioning such trash excuses for MC's?
Trooper
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Return to Old School Discussions and Questions