Help with historic (New York) spots in raps history...

The Real Old School Hip Hop Forum....Share and spread knowledge. Keep the history alive...Please limit discussions in the forum to topics no later than 1986.

Re: Help with historic (New York) spots in raps history...

Postby 5 Grand » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:30 pm

That map looks dope!

You gotta post the entire thing
5 Grand
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby Flipmode » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:32 pm

I haven't forgot about you all.

troylsmith21 wrote:Looks good so far. To catch those Queens locations check with the party flyers http://www.toledohiphop.org/images/old_ ... urce_code/ There are some new jersey sites you might be interested in also. Keep up the good work.

Troy - that link you posted was inspirational man. It's amazing what those artists did with a pen and paper, and some stick-on letters. They took serious pride in their work, and it's obvious that the event flyers were also an important page in the history of hip hop.

So I know you all have really made some great suggestions - but I just want to let you all know that the direction this map took, I couldn't really include queens and brooklyn and really not staten island. When I started this project a month & a half ago, I had no idea of any of this history. I learned a lot of the bronx and manhattan scene, but barely any on the surrounding burrows. If I had more time, I would love to include more - and extend the map out to even parts of Jersey. Hell - even Too Short was selling tapes out in Oakland in 1980. But I had to draw the line because of the time limit. It's due Friday next week.

So I'll post a final in here when I'm done. I'm still working on it when I have time. I'm creating a flyer in the style of Phase 2, with lots of lines and shapes and stuff, which I will have in the bottom left of the map, covering queens/brooklyn. Here's a sample of where I am - but it's not yet complete. I'm going add some tears and tape marks and stuff to it.

Thanks again all for all your help. This should be included in history lessons in school if it were up to me.

Flipmode
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Postby Flipmode » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:17 pm

Greetings all - wanted to post a final version of the map. It's too large for the board, so I've linked to it. Thanks everyone for your input - I learned a bunch. And I did spend a lot of time on the flyer, but I couldn't fit into the style of the map. And I wish I could have added queens/brooklyn to the map, but I just didn't have time to research it. Hope you like :)

(edit) Here's the link:

http://i.imgur.com/FgNAn.jpg
Last edited by Flipmode on Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flipmode
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Postby dj d-lite » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:29 am

Amazing!
dj d-lite
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby IRISH CRAIG » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:38 pm

top job Flip, great work fella
http://randomrapradiodotcom.wordpress.com/
IRISH CRAIG
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby EyeGetzRaw » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:55 am

Respect Due!!!!...love to see creative minds at work. Culture Hip Hop lives. John G. needs to give that a proper place on the site. Also, do yourself a favor a get a creative commons license for that piece.
"Just throw ya hands in the air....and wave 'em like you just don't care.....keep 'em there....run the jewels."
EyeGetzRaw
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby albinos » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:10 pm

Flipmode wrote:Another question..

still doing my research - i'm finding some contradicting facts. 2 Quotes from 2 different books place the Hevalo Club and the Twilight Zone Club in the same location: On Jerome, between Tremont and Burnside. Were these clubs the same place? Or maybe beside each other on the same block? I figured somebody here might know - you all seem to know your history.

YO, what's the book?
oldschoolerscrew.blogspot.com
Dziurawe Sample
albinos
Old School Member
Old School Member

Postby Flipmode » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:12 pm

Flipmode
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Postby Sureshot La Rock » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:30 pm

Yeah -- that's a great book. Easy read and provides a great overview of hip hop's early days.
Sureshot La Rock
Old School Member
Old School Member

Previous

Return to Old School Discussions and Questions