Hello

The Real Old School Hip Hop Forum....Share and spread knowledge. Keep the history alive...Please limit discussions in the forum to topics no later than 1986.

Hello

Postby Model600 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:57 pm

Hi there everyone - 40 year old B-Boy from Manchester, UK here... I'm hoping you can help me with a question that's bugged me for years... I, and the rest of my friends, used to listen to a Manchester based pirate radio station called 'South Side Radio' circa 1984-85. I can't really tell you how long it was active for but it was at least a year and was popular in Manchester will all who liked Electro, as we called it at the time. It was run by a guy called Sam Brown and they got booted off the airwaves in '85 (I think).

Anyway, he used to have all sorts of mad samples he'd play over classic tracks like Boogie Down Bronx, Commando Rock and the Tibetan Jam. The two he used the most were a vocoded 'we are observing your Earth' and parts, and all of, someone saying 'Your musical evolution has ended, we control the sound. It's time we all got down. We bring you electrofonic funk funk funk funk.'. It's this last one that I have the question about; I can't find out where it's from for the life of me. It's not helped because Warren G used it in 'Get yo hands up' in his 1996 record that was on The Nutty Professor soundtrack. The sample's clearly before that though as I was hearing it in 1985, possibly earlier.

Can anyone help?

By the way, if anyone's interested in hearing some old recordings from South Side Radio (including the samples I'm talking about), there's a couple here made into MP3s direct from a tapes. Well worth a listen in any case!

http://manchesterradiomusic.com/rap-mas ... radio-ssr/
Model600
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Return to Old School Discussions and Questions