List the Cuts not the Breaks

The Real Old School Hip Hop Forum....Share and spread knowledge. Keep the history alive...Please limit discussions in the forum to topics no later than 1986.

Re: List the Cuts not the Breaks

Postby JEOPARDY » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:02 am

Thank You Kindly Irish Craig. I'm gonna take a risk now and jump in with RunDMC Beats To The Rhyme as the answer. That is so dope! Youz a genius!
JEOPARDY
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Postby ramses » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:46 pm

Good find Craig and welcome aboard Jeopardy!

Another one...
"Do not attempt" and "your radio" (scratched in Fresh Mess) is from P Funk Wants To Get Funked Up by Parliament
ramses
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby JEOPARDY » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:11 pm

There's a cut/scratch sound I've wanted but never found, can you folks help? It was used by Cut Creator on Dangerous on the intro before LL starts and by Knights Of The Turntables right after 'get up and go to the other side of the table, c'mon'. I been thinking it's Art Of Noise or some such but I've never found it. Any offers? Cheers.....Jeop
JEOPARDY
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Postby IRISH CRAIG » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:32 pm

JEOPARDY wrote:There's a cut/scratch sound I've wanted but never found, can you folks help? It was used by Cut Creator on Dangerous on the intro before LL starts and by Knights Of The Turntables right after 'get up and go to the other side of the table, c'mon'. I been thinking it's Art Of Noise or some such but I've never found it. Any offers? Cheers.....Jeop

aaaagggh, its on the tip of my brain, as it were

thats brainworm right there

no idea Jeop, but now its got me, it sounds famous so hopefully someone will know

does anyone remember were OUT OF CONTROL comes from, please
http://randomrapradiodotcom.wordpress.com/
IRISH CRAIG
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby Repo136 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:23 pm

IRISH CRAIG wrote:here's one thatll melt yer head [its from 88 but trust me, youll like it]

just watch, or listen, and again, feel yer jaw drop

My God! It makes me think of Run DMC in a completely new way! :shock:

Brilliant stuff, IC.
BTW, I'm no detective, but rather got too much hip hop trivia in my head! And at last I've found an outlet for it.
Check out my old school hip hop Blog! http://repo136.blogspot.com
Repo136
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby Repo136 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:29 pm

IRISH CRAIG wrote:
JEOPARDY wrote:There's a cut/scratch sound I've wanted but never found, can you folks help? It was used by Cut Creator on Dangerous on the intro before LL starts and by Knights Of The Turntables right after 'get up and go to the other side of the table, c'mon'. I been thinking it's Art Of Noise or some such but I've never found it. Any offers? Cheers.....Jeop

aaaagggh, its on the tip of my brain, as it were

thats brainworm right there

no idea Jeop, but now its got me, it sounds famous so hopefully someone will know

I'm gonna get this one before Craig or Ramses.............. :D
Gaaaaaaaaaah, I know it....but it's stuck in my cranial database. Think, think!
It's no use, gonna have to Defrag me noggin and reboot.
Repo136
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby ramses » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:52 am

Repo136 wrote:
I'm gonna get this one before Craig or Ramses.............. :D

I think you'll probably get it before me! I was listening to Dangerous the other week and was also wondering where that cut was from but didn't come up with anything.

It might be that someone will name it and the title will mean absolutely nothing to me. Certainly sounds familiar though...
ramses
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby IRISH CRAIG » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:28 am

jesus that Dangerous stab is melting my head, hope someone recognises it soon, it sounds so familiar

does anyone know what this is from, its just someone sayin Beli' Dat [Believe Dat] but I kinda recognise the tone of the voice but cant place it - its not from an old Hip-Hop track but I do recall it mightve been used in one somewhere

http://www.zshare.net/audio/6812648770e33db2/
http://randomrapradiodotcom.wordpress.com/
IRISH CRAIG
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby JEOPARDY » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:21 am

Damn, I feel a bit guilty now for having mental breakdowns about to occur! Well, as some small consolation I can now reveal the 'ooohh' scratch on Cuttin Herbie is by Howard Johnson and 'So Fine' is the track. I did say it was small!!!!!! Keep thinking chaps. Peace.
JEOPARDY
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Postby ramses » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:50 am

...and the "tyeah"(!) scratch on Cuttin' Herbie is from Troglodyte by The Jimmy Castor Bunch.
ramses
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby waxer » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:38 pm

ramses wrote:You little beatuty Craig!

http://www.jananddean.moonfruit.com/#/m ... 4514844070

Click on "The Joker is Wild", go to 2.25 and drop your jaws in wonderment!

That is just quality I can't believe that, this is oneof the best threads I've ever read on here, much props to Repo for putting the link in his blog. I haven't been on oshh for a while there's just never enough hours in the day but this is just sooo dope I'm gonna crank the old grey matter and start adding a few comments to this! Woop!
waxer
Old School Professor
Old School Professor

Postby waxer » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:14 pm

Repo I want to get out of bed, put some sensible shoes on, drive to your hometown and ask around the locals to find you, then I want to knock on the door, sit you down in the kitchen and over a strong cup of tea with crumpets give you a stern telling off for making me a window licking idiot and asking a multitude of people if they know the stab from Dangerous. If I was with you now I would fart in your general direction, SWINE!

Ahem, anyway, sorry folks, some sample spotting...

To add to the Ultras post by Beatlover, they also used the "We're going in at full throttle that'll keep those fighters off our back" from Star Wars.

Are we going to name more obvious stuff like the bits Premiere uses, for example "How far must we go to earn respect ummmm" (excursions) & "ya boom it and ya boom it and ya boom it in your jeep" (masta ace jeep ass nigga) off Tribe Called Quests' Jazz (We've Got) from Low End Theory or "Who's gonna take the weight" off the previously mentioned Soul Stax live LP.

I'm guessing it's gonna be the more difficult stuff with scratches from non Hip Hop records. Weird actually my mind is fairly blank right now! Oh actually the stab on 2,3 Break by the B Boys is from "Catch A Groove" by Juice:

That's an easy one really, I must try harder! Oh yeah piss me I know what the sample from Original Concept's skit on the straight from the basement of coolley high is, "beating his kids shitless, shootin his arm... who could hate you bumpy" that's from Shaft. On the OST from that Bumpy's Lament got used by Mobb Deep. Also on the OC LP, can you feel it, those little sc ratches near the start are from Art Of Noise er... piss me I can't remember the track now, can anyone help me out?
waxer
Old School Professor
Old School Professor

Postby waxer » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:18 pm

Great it's 20 past 1 in the morning and I can't get to sleep cos of the dangerous stab thing and i gotta be up at 6.45 for gay work.

DAMN YOU HAMMY!!!
waxer
Old School Professor
Old School Professor

Postby Repo136 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:30 am

waxer wrote:Repo I want to get out of bed, put some sensible shoes on, drive to your hometown and ask around the locals to find you, then I want to knock on the door, sit you down in the kitchen and over a strong cup of tea with crumpets give you a stern telling off for making me a window licking idiot and asking a multitude of people if they know the stab from Dangerous. If I was with you now I would fart in your general direction, SWINE!

Hahahahaha. But to be fair it was Jeopardy who originally asked the question on this board. I just got a bit of a brain-freeze after trying to find the source for ages and decided to ask for your help.

waxer wrote:Great it's 20 past 1 in the morning and I can't get to sleep cos of the dangerous stab thing and i gotta be up at 6.45 for gay work.

DAMN YOU HAMMY!!!

Share my pain. :D
Repo136
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby JEOPARDY » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:52 pm

Ayo, how y'all feel out there?

I'm keeping the faith that someone knows the origins of that "Dangerous' stab, but in the meantime, that car tyre screech that Marley Marl was so fond of using with the opening drumroll of Bob's Mardis Gras is 'Burn Rubber On Me' by The Gap Band (think DJ Cuttin'). Probably mad obvious but I thought it was still worth a mention. It revealed itself to me while I was watching an edition of Solid Soul back in the 80's.

Peace party people, haha see ya later.....

Jeop
JEOPARDY
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to Old School Discussions and Questions