List the Cuts not the Breaks

The Real Old School Hip Hop Forum....Share and spread knowledge. Keep the history alive...Please limit discussions in the forum to topics no later than 1986.

List the Cuts not the Breaks

Postby reg » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:12 am

Greetings My Mellows
The breaks are well documented. What about the cuts?
'Why does it have to be so damn tough' - Kurtis Blow - Tough.
'This stuff is really fresh' - Fab 5 Betty - Change The Beat.
'Is That A Turntable?/Oh my gosh the music just turns me on/What? Your A DJ? - Mikey Dread - African Anthem.
'This is a revolution sureshot' - The JBs - Damn Right I Am Somebody.

Please list some more. Pre '86 only.

Cheers

Reg
reg
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie

Re: List the Cuts not the Breaks

Postby ramses » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:08 am

Nice idea Reg. Okay, here's mine:

I'm afraid it's not fresh (Double Def Fresh) - Fawlty Towers, Waldorf Salad episode.
ramses
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby Wax Wizard » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:40 am

ramses wrote:Nice idea Reg. Okay, here's mine:

I'm afraid it's not fresh (Double Def Fresh) - Fawlty Towers, Waldorf Salad episode.

:lol: obscure but well remembered.
I AM....UR....WE WILL....RESIST.
http://www.undergroundresistance.com/
Wax Wizard
Old School Scholar
Old School Scholar

Postby IRISH CRAIG » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:44 pm

Top idea for a thread Reg, great to find out the origins of old dialogue and vocal bits from pre-86 Hip-Hop...Im a fiend for these gems...

Would it be a good idea for folk to request bits from Hip-Hop records that they DONT know the origins of too? Maybe we can plug a few gaps... I would kill to know what Itchiban Scratch is constructed from, I heard that a Jan & Dean surf record is in there somewhere...

First one comes to mind is, 'What were gonna do right here is go back, way back, back into time' ...Cant think of one specific use but its been used numerous times over the years...

Jimmy Castor - Troglodyte

Steinski - Lesson 3; the 'We interrupt this special bulletin' line is from the 1956 Buchanan and Goodman Flying Saucer record. The worlds first mash-up, fact

and the samples...

Grandmaster Flash 'Girls love the way he Spins' pinches bits from Eddie Murphys Delirious 'The BBQ bit'

Im cheating already but does ANYONE know what 'So youre a Philosopher?' [BDP - My Philosophy 88 oops] is from, that one's always 'flauged' me...and while im takin liberties, the bit from BDP - Illegal Business' 'What do we get for 63 cents' is from a Bill Cosby/ Fat Albert' album called 'Creativity' ...

And that one 'Time to lay down some serious sounds' is off the Muppets, Rolf I think...

I better stop now....

Top idea Reg
http://randomrapradiodotcom.wordpress.com/
IRISH CRAIG
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby TARSizm » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:32 pm

All that scratchings mak'n me itch - From the Supreme Team Show but I'm sure the Malcom Mclaren Buffalo Gals is what all the Dj's used to cut it.

On a side note Irish, it's interesting you bring up the Illegal Business from BDP cause the beat samples the Fat Albert Show too.
TARSizm
Old School Member
Old School Member

Postby shbzz7 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:15 pm

IRISH CRAIG wrote:Steinski - Lesson 3; the 'We interrupt this special bulletin' line is from the 1956 Buchanan and Goodman Flying Saucer record. The worlds first mash-up, fact

and the samples...

Top idea Reg

"G-G-G-Got to Have Soul" sample = Putney Swoop Fim by Robert Downey "Sr". Believe it or not that 3 secs was the highlight of the movie :(
shbzz7
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby ramses » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:34 pm

IRISH CRAIG wrote:... I would kill to know what Itchiban Scratch is constructed from, I heard that a Jan & Dean surf record is in there somewhere...

One of the gurgling noises (not the one at the start) is from Airplane. Can't remember the scene exactly but I think one of the passengers is being forced to drink something. I'd love to know what the nursery rhyme record is, sounds English judging by the accents...
ramses
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby shbzz7 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:35 pm

"How Yall Feel Out there??? Ahh Yeah Ah right..Check This Out." Run-DMC

Used here & there but most noticebly used by Todd Terry, who has an obvious hip hop back bone, on house joints.

Speaking of that but a tad off topic the accapella intros of these two cuts were always sprinkled into the mix or cut in and cut out continuosly by club djs back in the days.

. "The Roof, The Roof, The Roof is on Fire" by Rockmaster Scott gets an honorable mention but that phenomenom took on a life of its own and after a while there was no need to use the record !
shbzz7
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby IRISH CRAIG » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:47 am

ramses wrote:
IRISH CRAIG wrote:... I would kill to know what Itchiban Scratch is constructed from, I heard that a Jan & Dean surf record is in there somewhere...

One of the gurgling noises (not the one at the start) is from Airplane. Can't remember the scene exactly but I think one of the passengers is being forced to drink something. I'd love to know what the nursery rhyme record is, sounds English judging by the accents...

Whaoh, that gurgling is from Airplane? Cheers, that's bananas.....

Hennnnnry.... [http://www.westcoastpioneers.com/labels/electrobeat/chris-the-glove-taylor-itchiban-scratch.html]

and yeh shbzz, I remember that JR Funk from tracks like Kraze The Party, and general overuse during that period....Thanks for that
IRISH CRAIG
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby IRISH CRAIG » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:08 am

ramses wrote:Nice idea Reg. Okay, here's mine:

Thats deep !
IRISH CRAIG
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby IRISH CRAIG » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:36 am

TARSizm wrote:On a side note Irish, it's interesting you bring up the Illegal Business from BDP cause the beat samples the Fat Albert Show too.

Tars - There's another bit from Fat Albert - Creativity but I cant place what its been used in

'Howd you like that? That sounds promising, promising huh'.... Any clues ?
IRISH CRAIG
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby dj d-lite » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:29 am

"I Know You Gonna Dig This" - Car Wash soundtrack
dj d-lite
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby ramses » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 am

Some of the cuts on the Fresh Mess Dub are from a Disney halloween record called Chilling Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted House (including the wailing at the start, the UFO sounds, the female voice and the cats and dogs - but not the woodpecker!)

On a similar note, anyone know where the "The purpose of this record" cut on Techno Scratch is from?
ramses
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby Lord Yorkshire » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:16 pm

excellent post. please keep them coming.

heard a few eddie murphey snippets, "now that a fire"
Lord Yorkshire
Old School Member
Old School Member

Postby dj d-lite » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:46 pm

Just found this on youtube, never knew this was the source for Doug E Fresh - Nothin'

dj d-lite
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Next

Return to Old School Discussions and Questions