List the Cuts not the Breaks

The Real Old School Hip Hop Forum....Share and spread knowledge. Keep the history alive...Please limit discussions in the forum to topics no later than 1986.

Re: List the Cuts not the Breaks

Postby gandahar » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:40 pm

"Are you ready ?" from a song of Eddie Bo "Hook And Sling"
sampled by Tuff Crew in the track "Nut" from album "Back to wreck Shop"
the breakbeat used in "Nut" is from that song "hook and sling" too

:mrgreen:
User avatar
gandahar
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: List the Cuts not the Breaks

Postby 5 Grand » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:00 pm

No, Eric b and Rakim sampled Bobby Byrd "I Know You Got Soul" not Donald Byrd.
5 Grand
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather
 
Posts: 6050
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:00 am

Re: List the Cuts not the Breaks

Postby gandahar » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:01 pm

hey your right man!
I always make mistake with this two artists

the Bobby Bird "Hot Pants" breakbeat is famous too
User avatar
gandahar
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: List the Cuts not the Breaks

Postby benblack » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:21 am

OK - not sure if this should go here but I know people have been going apesh*t trying to find a sample from Main Source's "Looking at the Front door" - the bit at the start that goes "Come on Baby nah nah" just before the Pazant Brothers sample drops - it's from Ken Lazarus "So Good Together" - a cover of the Andy Kim song.

It's also where Large Pro got the break for the Large Professor track off Breakin' Atoms....

Now go hunting...
benblack
Old School Member
Old School Member
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: List the Cuts not the Breaks

Postby leftright » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:18 pm

easy one yet i'm racking my brain at the moment and coming up with nothing... what's getting cut up in this?

Fat Boys - Stick Em (starts out at around the :49 sec mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wipr12ZmBfw



i almost don't even want to know the direct answer. a simple clue will jar something upstairs in my head. i'm an old DJ and should know this. brain is just a little dusty today
User avatar
leftright
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:18 am

Re: List the Cuts not the Breaks

Postby leftright » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:12 pm

just gonna tell myself it's Pleasure "Celebrate The Good Things" so i don't lose anymore sleep over this
User avatar
leftright
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:18 am

Re: List the Cuts not the Breaks

Postby ramses » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:21 pm

IRISH CRAIG wrote:Ramses

I apologise in advance, but I must admit im like a dog with toffee with these things

Gettin back to sample sources for ITCHIBAN SCRATCH, did you ever suss out what the GRAND OLE DUKE OF YORK was from, its beginning to wind me up now, cos between us all, weve managed to find virtually every bit...



CL


AAAAAaaaaaaaahhh!!!!!! Got it!

This is from the recent Trunk re-release Music For Children, a 1957 kids' album. This is the only track I've listened to so far, if I find any more gold I'll stick those on YouTube too (I suspect I might find "watch your step" and "look before you leap" on here too).

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlJSxpzHOBw
User avatar
ramses
Old School Academic
Old School Academic
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:00 am

Re: List the Cuts not the Breaks

Postby Repo136 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:14 am

First of all, thanks to Ramses for reminding me about this thread (I've sort of been a bit slack around OSHH lately, soz!) and for sending me the mp3's as mentioned above.

Well, this is bizarre.
I just received that same Trunk cd only yesterday and was going to listen to it soon (it was the "Wicker Man-esque" description of some of the songs that really caught my eye).

I think I am going to have to listen to it even sooner than anticipated now :D
Image
Check out my old school hip hop Blog! http://repo136.blogspot.com
User avatar
Repo136
Old School Academic
Old School Academic
 
Posts: 955
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Norwich, UK - where hip hop lives!

Re: List the Cuts not the Breaks

Postby ramses » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:52 pm

Yeah it's actually a pretty good listen.

I can certainly understand the Wicker Man comparison, there are some very strange and oddly spooky tracks on there - reminded me in parts of Ennio Morricone's Who Saw Her Die soundtrack. I haven't actually listened to it all yet, maybe there's some more gold in them thar hills.

Watch your step....
User avatar
ramses
Old School Academic
Old School Academic
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:00 am

Re: List the Cuts not the Breaks

Postby dankdaddy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:05 pm

leftright wrote:easy one yet i'm racking my brain at the moment and coming up with nothing... what's getting cut up in this?

Fat Boys - Stick Em (starts out at around the :49 sec mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wipr12ZmBfw



i almost don't even want to know the direct answer. a simple clue will jar something upstairs in my head. i'm an old DJ and should know this. brain is just a little dusty today




Here's some food for thought...

The horn hit is probably from the same record as the "One two three hit me" record that you can also hear being cut up in the song (the part after they say "his beats come from, machine or man, he's also cuttin up cause he's in command so cut it up!" around the 1:14 mark then he cuts up the "one two three hit me" record) the voice sounds like someone trying to imitate James Brown. This Fat Boys record came out around 84-ish so going by memory here, Bambaatta had a few records out that he was imitating the James Brown voice.. He was doing stuff with Shango the year before on Celluloid records. I didn't hear the entire Shango catelouge so maybe that could possibly be a clue? The horn hit just might be from the same record.

Just a guess.. i may have to look it up as well. I do know that Mantronix also used the same horn hit on his record "Bassline" but it's debatable weather or not he used it off the Fat Boys record or right from the original source... also to keep in mind, Mantronix also sampled Shango a few times for other songs.

Who knows? It's a clue if anything.
dankdaddy
Old School Academic
Old School Academic
 
Posts: 798
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: List the Cuts not the Breaks

Postby ramses » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:18 pm

leftright wrote:easy one yet i'm racking my brain at the moment and coming up with nothing... what's getting cut up in this?

Fat Boys - Stick Em (starts out at around the :49 sec mark)



Pretty sure it's this:


User avatar
ramses
Old School Academic
Old School Academic
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:00 am

Re: List the Cuts not the Breaks

Postby leftright » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:55 pm

yeah i pretty much answered my own question after my first post but thanks for the help guys. felt embarrassed for even asking.

got one more questionable one that i definitely don't know but was wondering if anyone had any insight on. in Kurtis Blow's 'AJ Scratch' does anybody know what that sound is at the 1:06 mark?



to me it sounds like the "uhhh" from the Fat Boys "Human Beat Box" at the 0:01 mark



singled it out here: http://www.divshare.com/download/24437553-7fe
User avatar
leftright
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:18 am

Re: List the Cuts not the Breaks

Postby dankdaddy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:37 pm

leftright wrote:yeah i pretty much answered my own question after my first post but thanks for the help guys. felt embarrassed for even asking.

got one more questionable one that i definitely don't know but was wondering if anyone had any insight on. in Kurtis Blow's 'AJ Scratch' does anybody know what that sound is at the 1:06 mark?



to me it sounds like the "uhhh" from the Fat Boys "Human Beat Box" at the 0:01 mark



singled it out here: http://www.divshare.com/download/24437553-7fe


I hear a bassnote behind it so i don't know... sounds like its another record altogether.


..and i'm still not convinced about that "Celebrate the good things" record being the source.
dankdaddy
Old School Academic
Old School Academic
 
Posts: 798
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: List the Cuts not the Breaks

Postby leftright » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:41 pm

dankdaddy wrote:

Here's some food for thought...

The horn hit is probably from the same record as the "One two three hit me" record that you can also hear being cut up in the song (the part after they say "his beats come from, machine or man, he's also cuttin up cause he's in command so cut it up!" around the 1:14 mark then he cuts up the "one two three hit me" record) the voice sounds like someone trying to imitate James Brown. This Fat Boys record came out around 84-ish so going by memory here, Bambaatta had a few records out that he was imitating the James Brown voice.. He was doing stuff with Shango the year before on Celluloid records. I didn't hear the entire Shango catelouge so maybe that could possibly be a clue? The horn hit just might be from the same record.

Just a guess.. i may have to look it up as well. I do know that Mantronix also used the same horn hit on his record "Bassline" but it's debatable weather or not he used it off the Fat Boys record or right from the original source... also to keep in mind, Mantronix also sampled Shango a few times for other songs.

Who knows? It's a clue if anything.


i had to come back to this because you may be onto something. i'm also impressed with what a good ear you have for even hearing the "one, two, three, hit me" part because i never even caught that until you brought it to my attention. it does sound like multiple things being cut up behind that horn break so it gets confusing to pick apart. maybe he is using the Pleasure record with another noise behind it. when you cut up that Pleasure horn it doesn't sound like the noise i'm hearing at the 1:15 mark. it's like a harsh crisp cut at the beginning of some sound. it's almost like the "ahhh" in the Fab 5 Freddy record.

gonna go back to what you suggested and go through some Shango and Bam associated records and see what's out there.

also thanks for spending some time on this to help me out. much appreciated.
User avatar
leftright
Old School Rookie
Old School Rookie
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:18 am

Re: List the Cuts not the Breaks

Postby ezk » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:38 am

leftright wrote:easy one yet i'm racking my brain at the moment and coming up with nothing... what's getting cut up in this?

Fat Boys - Stick Em (starts out at around the :49 sec mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wipr12ZmBfw



i almost don't even want to know the direct answer. a simple clue will jar something upstairs in my head. i'm an old DJ and should know this. brain is just a little dusty today


might it be from 1985's Whistle-Just Buggin ?
(bunch of different hits at the end of the track too)

User avatar
ezk
Old School Member
Old School Member
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:46 am

PreviousNext

Return to Old School Discussions and Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

cron