First rekkid ever to?

The Real Old School Hip Hop Forum....Share and spread knowledge. Keep the history alive...Please limit discussions in the forum to topics no later than 1986.

Re: First rekkid ever to?

Postby doc savage » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 am

I've always thought of Rockit as a hip hop record.
ROFL 4 ZAGGIN
doc savage
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby razorcuts » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:15 pm

I think this discussion is pretty interesting and the answers aren't that simple - many of these records were made at the time that hip hop on wax itself was relatively rare, and just like when the scene had to adopt records from many genres to create a scene (Bongo Band, Babe Ruth, Billy Squire, Monkees, Jimmy Castor) I think that open minded attitude was still very much present - if it funked enough to make you wanna get down, who cares who made it - surely that's what true hip hop has always stood for? All styles welcome as long as it's got soul. A couple of examples spring to mind for me in the UK, I got into the scene in 1983 and DJs who were really in the know played the following joints for the breakers to get down to - Ryuichi Sakamoto - Riot in Lagos, Visage - Pleasure Boys and Yellow Magic Orchestra 'Fire Cracker'. I for one, simply refused to believe that the tune that went 'Wow-Wow' over the toughest beat was Visage. I was like 'no freaking way. That has to be a mistake!'. But it' still one of my fave tracks, to this day. Are any of these Hip Hop records? What about Kraftwerk - TEE, or Numbers - are they hip hop records or not? To count, does the record have to have been created with an established hip hop audience in mind? Where does that put Chaka Khan's 'I feel for you?' or Clair Hicks version of 'In the Bush'? Are they Hip Hop records? The both contain elements of hip hop, be it scratching or rhyming or both.
razorcuts
Old School Member
Old School Member

Postby troylsmith21 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:28 pm

Where does that put Chaka Khan's 'I feel for you?' Good question with an insane answer I have to say Meles part is hip hop and her part isn't. Right after he finishes his part i tune out her part not because I am hating on her it just doesn't grab me and I never thought she was trying to mimic hip hop. It sounds like a straight R@B cut after Mel finishes his part.

I have another question pertaining to Mele's part did he do a remix to "I feel for you" and have extended lyrics? Some one told me this, but only one person said it. peace

Troy L. from HARLEM, One
Obama's the President, PULL YOUR PANTS UP!

Troy from HARLEM, One
troylsmith21

Postby 5 Grand » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:50 pm

I have another question pertaining to Mele's part did he do a remix to "I feel for you" and have extended lyrics? Some one told me this, but only one person said it. peace

Yeah its called "Step Off" you've probably heard it before. It came out in 1984 right after "I Feel For You" and uses the "For the Love of Money" beat by the O'Jays. Cowboy and Scorpio rap on it too but Mel has the tightest verse.
5 Grand
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby troylsmith21 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:14 pm

Hold up isn't Step off and I feel for you totally two different records? I am saying Chaka Khan I feel for you cut did Mel have extend lyrics for that song. peace

Troy L. from HARLEM, One

Troy from HARLEM, One
troylsmith21

Postby 5 Grand » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:18 pm

Yeah, Step Off and I Feel For You are two totally seperate songs with different beats, but Mel uses the same verse but changes it around a lil on Step Off.

There is a 12" version of "I Feel For You" which is longer than the LP version, but I don't think there's any additional lyrics. I could be wrong, I don't have the LP.

If you can wait till tommorrow, I can try to upload the 12" version of I Feel For You.
5 Grand
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby troylsmith21 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:07 pm

Looking forward to it 5 Grand, Thank You. peace

Troy L. From HARLEM, One

Troy from HARLEM, One
troylsmith21

Postby dutchfoxx » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:27 am

the 7 inch (45) of stepp off, melle mel, begins directly with his ckaka khan rhyme,
and on the 12 inch he rhymes this in the end of the song, maybe that's been heard
by this guy.
dutchfoxx
Old School Member
Old School Member

Postby troylsmith21 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:09 am

so nothing extra Dutchfoxx by Mel? peace

Troy L. from HARLEM, One

Troy from HARLEM, One
troylsmith21

Postby ramses » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:29 am

dutchfoxx wrote:the 7 inch (45) of stepp off, melle mel, begins directly with his ckaka khan rhyme,
and on the 12 inch he rhymes this in the end of the song, maybe that's been heard
by this guy.

The UK 12" also begins with Melle's Chaka Khan rhyme, then the chorus, then Melle's first verse (I was sitting on the corner....) plus the Chaka rhyme appears later on in the song. It also has a bit more scratching at the end.

Step Off (UK 12" Version)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/u9tf8g
ramses
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby 5 Grand » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:34 pm

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4f17w7

I Feel For You - Chaka Khan feat Melle Mel

Unfortunately, this is a WAV file not an mp3. So it may take a lil longer to download. I uploaded it from my record player on a program called Audacity and I don't remember how to convert a Wav file to an mp3 file.

Anyway, this is the 12" version of I Feel For You. It is 7+ minutes long. but there is no additional rapping by Melle Mel that isn't on the version they play on the radio. So Troy, I think your friend was talking about Step Off. Check out the mp3 that Ramses posted.
5 Grand
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby DjReadyRed » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:10 pm

Good thoughts!!!

As far as a record being a Hip Hop Record!!
I believe that any record had potential if something was heard and could be used in the set! So to me every record has that element to be Hip Hop
Rock It was popular in every circle so only naturally it would get rocked hip hop style like many other non hip hop Shout ,BeatBox like Jayquan stated they won't hip hop records but you could rock them joints and get results!
Wow just like the pioneers did rocked breaks they made Hip Hop!
LOL
Peace
And anything you ever do I already did
Shoulda seen me rock the house when you was a kid!
Keith "Cowboy" Wiggins Rip Furious Five Mc

http://www.hiphopgods.com/Dj%20Ready%20Red
http://www.discogs.com/artist/DJ+Ready+Red
DjReadyRed

Postby dankdaddy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:42 pm

"Step off" is still my fave Melle Mel appearance on wax.

he was on FIRE!
dankdaddy
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby dutchfoxx » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:51 pm

Mel's been twice in the Netherlands this and last year, but he only did one verse of white lines and one of the message..
he signed my step off 12" and my first 7" the message at the first concert , i asked him to pleeaase rap step off but unfortunatley he didn't.

by the way i was kind of dissapointed he didn't do anything else also at the second concert one year later.

step off and the truth are two of my favourite angry melle rhymes !!! rrraaaaww !!
dutchfoxx
Old School Member
Old School Member

Postby dutchfoxx » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:55 pm

but what was really the first record with scratch in it ?

is it hobo scratch ( 1982 ) ?
dutchfoxx
Old School Member
Old School Member

PreviousNext

Return to Old School Discussions and Questions