First rekkid ever to?

The Real Old School Hip Hop Forum....Share and spread knowledge. Keep the history alive...Please limit discussions in the forum to topics no later than 1986.

First rekkid ever to?

Postby razorcuts » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:34 pm

I was wondering, what was the first EVER record where a DJ scratched "Une Sale Histoire's" 'Aaaaah this stuff is really fresh"?
Marley Marl was a frequent and early user, as was UTFO's Mixmaster Ice around 84 - But Grandmixer DST is my best bet - most notably on Herbie Hancock's "Rockit" and on his own 'Why is it Fresh?' and first mega mix.
I would love to know if DST was first, or if it was already appearing on records before then... Anybody know?
razorcuts
Old School Member
Old School Member

Re: First rekkid ever to?

Postby G.M.M » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:48 pm

You are right. D.St is credited with being the first with his scratches of it on "Rockit".
G.M.M
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby 5 Grand » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:53 pm

So then let me change the question up a lil.

We know that "Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel" was the first record with scratching. So what was the 2nd record with scratching?

What was the first record with a rapper rapping and the DJ Scratching in between verses?
5 Grand
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby razorcuts » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:57 pm

G.M.M wrote:You are right. D.St is credited with being the first with his scratches of it on "Rockit".

But he didn't scratch the 'aaaahh', only the 'fresh'... was he first to scratch that, or was it someone else?

Also, when was the first drum machine used on a rap record, and what was it? All the early Sugar Hill and Enjoy releases featured session players and real drums...
razorcuts
Old School Member
Old School Member

Postby dankdaddy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:38 pm

We know that "Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel" was the first record with scratching. So what was the 2nd record with scratching?

I was thinking maybe the Live Convention 81-82 records... even though the sound quality isn't the best.

as far as non-bootleg commercial release..... hmmmm... what year did west street mob's first lp come out?
dankdaddy
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby G.M.M » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:25 am

razorcuts wrote:But he didn't scratch the 'aaaahh', only the 'fresh'... was he first to scratch that, or was it someone else?

That I have no idea...

5 Grand wrote:We know that "Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel" was the first record with scratching. So what was the 2nd record with scratching?

Actually the remix of Spoonin' Rap was the first record to have scratching on it (1980). There's also a joint by Soun on sound productions from either 80 or 81 that also has scratching on it.
G.M.M
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby troylsmith21 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:41 am

Because of Live Convention 81 Lightning Lance and Cool Clyde often say they were the first to scratch on wax although it was actually Lightning Lance that did it.

All the hip hop pioneers frown on Lightning Lance and Clyde about that statement because so many people believe the whole record was a recording of a tape or a couple of tapes. But when I interviewed Lightning Lance about this he said Johnny Soul actually had Lance's group in the studio and they laid down their vocals and his scratch's! Other parts of the record are from recordings of other parties.

Live Convention 82 is all tape that I have also, but even more. peace

Troy L. from HARLEM, One
Obama's the President, PULL YOUR PANTS UP!

Troy from HARLEM, One
troylsmith21

Postby JayQuan » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:45 am

D.ST was first. He actually did production on Change The Beat as a member of Material , so he had the record before anyone else. Davy Dmx and Mixmaster Ice were early users of Change The Beat as well.....
JayQuan
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby dankdaddy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:52 pm

troylsmith21 wrote:Because of Live Convention 81 Lightning Lance and Cool Clyde often say they were the first to scratch on wax although it was actually Lightning Lance that did it.

All the hip hop pioneers frown on Lightning Lance and Clyde about that statement because so many people believe the whole record was a recording of a tape or a couple of tapes. But when I interviewed Lightning Lance about this he said Johnny Soul actually had Lance's group in the studio and they laid down their vocals and his scratch's! Other parts of the record are from recordings of other parties.

I kinda figured that part of that record was recorded in someone's basement.

You can kinda tell just from the difference of vocal hype levels as to waht was live on stage and what was done at home (or as they said , it a 'studio')

Actually the remix of Spoonin' Rap was the first record to have scratching on it (1980). There's also a joint by Soun on sound productions from either 80 or 81 that also has scratching on it.

Wait a sec... spoonin rap had scratching on it? there was a remix?

someone hook me up ...i had no idea. I only have the 12 inch on sound of new york.
dankdaddy
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby troylsmith21 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:23 pm

Is Rockit considered a hip hop record? peace

Troy L. from HARLEM, One
Obama's the President, PULL YOUR PANTS UP!

Troy from HARLEM, One
troylsmith21

Postby 5 Grand » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:32 pm

troylsmith21 wrote:Is Rockit considered a hip hop record? peace

Troy L. from HARLEM, One

I consider Rock It a Hip Hop record. I used to Breakdance to it and it has scratching in it. For some reason, I do not consider it an Electro Record, or if it is "Electro" it is a borderline Hip Hop song.

Another record that fits in that category is Beatbox - Art of Noise. I don't know why but I consider it a Hip Hop song.
5 Grand
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby Dutch Old School Fan » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:15 pm

5 Grand wrote:
troylsmith21 wrote:Is Rockit considered a hip hop record? peace

Troy L. from HARLEM, One

I consider Rock It a Hip Hop record. I used to Breakdance to it and it has scratching in it. For some reason, I do not consider it an Electro Record, or if it is "Electro" it is a borderline Hip Hop song.

Another record that fits in that category is Beatbox - Art of Noise. I don't know why but I consider it a Hip Hop song.

Because of the contribution of grandmixer DST and the dominant presence of scratching , i think Rockit can / must be considered a hip hop record. For the same reason Beatbox is IMO opinion not a hip hop track. It uses sampling, but that's not a unique 'hip hop element'. Also the art of noise and trever horn can't be seen as hip hop artists.
Having said that: on Ego Trip's hip hop list, Beatbox is mentioned and Rockit not.....
Check my downloadable collection of radio and live show tapes on http://old-school-hiphop-tapes.blogspot.com/ (250+ online tapes)
Dutch Old School Fan
Old School Scholar
Old School Scholar

Postby dankdaddy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:22 pm

Because of the contribution of grandmixer DST and the dominant presence of scratching , i think Rockit can / must be considered a hip hop record. For the same reason Beatbox is IMO opinion not a hip hop track. It uses sampling, but that's not a unique 'hip hop element'. Also the art of noise and trever horn can't be seen as hip hop artists.
Having said that: on Ego Trip's hip hop list, Beatbox is mentioned and Rockit not.....

There were records made that were not meant to be marketed for 'hip hop' but hip hop culture adopted them as hip hop classics. Incredible bongo band being a huge example of that.

A far as i'm concerned, Rockit is that type of adopted hip hop record... and yes, even "beatbox' ended that way too.. weather or not Art of Noise was aware of it... but Rockit was more obvious as it had scratching in it. Even though Herbie Hancock was originally a "Jazz" artist, i'd be very iffy about calling "Rockit" a jazz record over being a hip hop one.

Question remains : Would "rockit" have been as popular without scratching in it at all?
dankdaddy
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Postby JayQuan » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:39 pm

I consider Beat Box a Hip Hop record. Whether that was thier intention or not , it was very much a hip hop record. I would say that Rock It would be nothing at all without the scratching.......
JayQuan
Old School Godfather
Old School Godfather

Postby dankdaddy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:04 am

I would say that Rock It would be nothing at all without the scratching.......

Or at least would have ended up like a song such as "Axel F"

A generic 80's synth record.
dankdaddy
Old School Academic
Old School Academic

Next

Return to Old School Discussions and Questions